We want to extend our most sincere gratitude to you one more time for your quick response to the devastating earthquake that struck Elazig and neighboring towns that left tens of people dead and thousands homeless. In just a short time, TPF has raised over $85,000 to help with the city’s relief and rebuilding efforts. Grants were made to six partner organizations and we reached 24,420 people and supported 177 families with hygiene/cleaning kits, psychosocial and children’s therapy support, scholarships, and microcredits.
We see our role as filling the gaps between emergency relief and long-term development programs that can revive earthquake-hit areas both socially and economically, and give new opportunities to the survivors and the Elazig and neighboring communities, in general. Our selection criteria have been implementation capability, efficiency, financial strength, and transparency.
- Providing Psychosocial Support for Children in Elazığ and Malatya by MAYA Vakfi: Maya Vakfi receives $10,000 from TPF to support children, who are traumatized by the earthquake in Elazig and Malatya through creative art therapy method, and to train the teachers and social service professionals in the vicinity to raise awareness about trauma.
- Helping to Reestablish Livelihood Resources for People in the Affected Areas by ihtiyac Haritasi: Ihtiyac Haritasi receives $20,000 for its Recovery Fund Program from TPF to identify the impact of the earthquake on livelihood resources and economic activities in the region and to provide the necessary support for the reestablishment of income-generating activities.
- Psychosocial Support to Children and Their Parents Who Live in Remote Areas and Villages by Anne Cocuk Egitim Vakfı (ACEV): ACEV receives $8,935 to provide comprehensive psychosocial support in the form of play activities as well as training and counseling for adults in a designated separate unit by touring all the remote villages and temporary residences in the earthquake area. The team of child psychologists, special-needs teachers, and social workers will conduct workshops for children and adults with the aim of serving 17,750 children and 4,170 adults.
- Aiding Women and Girls Affected by the Earthquake in Malatya by Hayata Destek Dernegi (HDD): HDD receives $12,750 from TPF to respond primarily to the needs of women and girls that have been affected by the earthquake. HDD will distribute hygiene and dignity kits to girls and women and will inform them about gender-based violence and reproductive health. By providing these kits, the project also aims to minimize the frequency of (women’s &girls’) visits to the temporary outdoor (pre fabric) bathrooms to prevent sexual harassment and abuse.
- Bringing Laundry Services to the Earthquake Victims that Live in Tents and Rural Areas by Kadin Merkezi Vakfi (KAMER): KAMER receives $10,235 to respond to the hygienic needs in earthquake-hit areas. With this project, KAMER will launch laundry services for earthquake victims who live in tents. The organization also aims to provide immediate hygienic or nutrition aid to those using the laundry services, if there is any need. This opportunity will also be used to discuss violence and/or any situation that harms women and children. KAMER team will take necessary actions in case of any abuse.
- Granting Scholarships for Students to Help Them Maintain Their Education by Toplum Gonulluleri Vakfi (TOG): TOG receives $12,255 to encourage students whose academic lives have been impacted by the earthquake to continue their education. With the project, TOG will be giving scholarships to students with disadvantaged backgrounds in the earthquake area. The decisions will be made based on particular criteria such as needs, academic achievements, and volunteering. The grant will support 10 students for two years.
Disaster response and relief is not an easy task. It is a tireless job and requires compassion, commitment, and non-stop assistance. We want to one more time thank all of our partners on the ground who had and still have been working to provide relief. And, last but not least to you, our committed donors, for your confidence in our work and unwavering support. We are humbled by the trust you have placed in us.