Financial Goal $25,000$17,300 raised
The Problem Addressed by the Project
There is a desperate need for the advancement of education of females in Turkey:
- According to 2009-2010 TUIK (Turkish Statistical Institute) statistics of the illiteracy rate for females is 13.4% and it is 6.5 % for males.
- In spite of the compulsory education being 8 years, the average schooling rate for females is 4.96 years.
- Turkey is one of the 20 countries that will not be able reach gender equality in education until 2020 (UN Report).
- 1 out of 3 marriages in Turkey is underage.
- Female secondary school education schooling rate is 66% in Turkey, in some regions this ratio is 23%
Timeline: 09/01/2011 - 11/30/2013
The Goal of the Project
CYDD aims to address these issues through various projects to support girls education in Turkey such as KARDELENLER and BABA BENI OKULA GONDER.
The purpose of these projects is to increase schooling of girls in Turkey through scholarships by reducing the financial burden of education on families. Families have a tendency to have girls stay at home and help with the household chores and then marry them off before they even finish elementary school. To break this cycle, CYDD encourages girls to go to high school by supporting them with scholarships. They also facilitate the continuation of their education by constructing girls dormitories all around Turkey.
The Impact of the Project
By empowering girls through education, CYDD not only has been creating a movement of sustainable change but also stronger, more independent community of Turkish women. CYDD has created awareness about girls' schooling throughout Turkey, which became one of the national goals of the Ministry of Education and also an area that the European Union decided to support in Turkey. CYDD's impact on the lives of thousands of girls is evident in the number of scholarships they have given: more than 54,650 high school scholarships for a better future.
The cost to educate one girl for a year is $375 (all fees included).